We Are Stronger Than We Thought!

(An open letter to All African Youth)


Alvin John Stephen
Arusha, Tanzania
Dear African Youth,

My Brothers and Sisters, I’ll try to make this as short as possible, knowing that most of my fellow youth hate to read. 

I don’t want to believe that our banks of reasoning, tolerance, common sense and forgiveness have gone bankrupt. My fellow African, truth only means something when it's hard to admit and I suggest our bad memories are best forgotten. Personally I cannot ask anymore of a man than what I believe the man can deliver, but I’m asking every young African with common sense to summon the spirit of Royalty, to this continent! Africa is mother to us all and God blessed her with everything. What we need is a better future for her and we must fight for it!


As Mahatma Gandhi, says “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” It’s true that we are having bad experiences which kill our livelihood in Africa, but picking up arms is not the solution to our problem. Let’s show the world that we are stronger than hate, that our nationalism and sense of brotherhood is far stronger than jets, bombs or military tanks. There are Arms dealers selling weapons worth millions of dollars to assist us in kill each other - but let’s think again how many schools, how many roads, how many hospitals, and how far we will be if we invest those dollars in something else! 

Let each of us, individually, ask ourselves, “If today were my last in planet, will I still do what I thought to do, will I leave hate, poverty and the current problems as inheritance to my family and relatives?” My fellow African, all my life I’ve been living by my own code and it is simple: “Change what you can, remember to accept what you can’t”. I believe Africa can develop and change, but it only needs the youth to take the initiative. Be the part of the change you need to see in the world, it can be done just play your part!


Yours Truly,


Your Brother from Tanzania,

Alvin John Stephen







The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of IGNITE THE YOUTH are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the entire society of IGNITE THE YOUTH.